What is Tense?
What is Tense? Types, Definitions & Examples
Tenses
Earlier we have as of now examined how imperative tenses are in English Linguistic use as the exceptionally premise of English Linguistic use is built on tenses. Once you total the tenses at that point you will get it each portion and utilize of tenses.
You as of now know that there are three tenses- past, show, and future; and four sorts of each tense, i.e. inconclusive, persistent, idealize, and culminate ceaseless. Presently, the show tense has been clarified in the to begin with portion of the article, and presently here we are going to cover the past and future tense.
What is Tense in English Grammar
Tense is a linguistic concept that shows the time of activity or occasion. Tense gives worldly data and empowers us to express activities that have happened in the past, are happening in the display, or will happen in the future. Tenses, in English Language structure, is the shape of the verb which appears the time when a particular occasion has happened or is going to happen. Essentially, tense signifies the characteristics of the verb in a sentence.
Tense Definition
Tense is characterized as any of the shapes of a verb that may be utilized to appear the time of the activity or state communicated by the verb.”
According to the Merriam-Webster Lexicon: “Tense is characterized as a refinement of shape in a verb to express qualifications of time or term of the activity or state it denotes.”
According to the Collins Lexicon: “Tense of a verb gather is its shape, which more often than not appears whether you are alluding to past, show, or future time.”
According to the Cambridge Lexicon: “Tense is any of the shapes of a verb which appear the time at which an activity happened.”
According to Oxford Learner’s Lexicon: "Tense makes a difference give clarity and setting to our communication, empowering others to get it the worldly arrangement and length of events".
Why Tenses are Imperative to Learn?
In the English dialect, tenses are considered the most critical and fundamentally portion of discourse. Without tenses, each sentence is counter-intuitive. In arrange to outline a sentence and pass on the data clearly, we require to learn the rectify utilize of tenses in a sentence. Tenses offer assistance us to communicate successfully and express the setting of the information.
Types of Tenses in English Grammar
There are three tenses in English grammar:
• Present tense
• Past tense
• Future tense
Further, all three tenses have four kinds:
• Simple or indefinite
• Continuous
• Perfect
• Perfect Continuous
Tenses And Their Usage
There are three primary verb tenses: past, present, and future. Each tense is further divided into simple, continuous (also known as progressive), perfect, and perfect continuous tenses. Let's explore each type in detail:
Present Tense
Present Indefinite or Simple Present-
Structure:
Subject (I, You, We, They ) + V1 ( First Form of Verb ) + Object
Example:
• I go to school.
Use: Explained in the GFG Article- "Rules of Tenses in Grammar".
Present Continuous Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + auxiliary verb (is/am/are) + Verb+ing + Object
Example:
• I am going to school.
• He is playing football.
• They are reading books.
Use: Explained in the GFG Article-"Rules of Tenses in Grammar".
Present Perfect Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + has/have + V3 (third form of verb) + Object
Example:
• He has played football.
• They have read books.
Use: Explained in the GFG Article- "Rules of Tenses in Grammar".
Present Perfect Continuous Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + has/have + been + Verb(ing) + Object
Example:
• He has been playing football.
• They have been reading books.
Use: Explained in the GFG Article- "Rules of Tenses in Grammar"
Past Tense
We use the past tense to describe an action that has happened the time before the present. This tense has four aspects that talk about to what extent action has been completed.
Simple Past Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + V2 (second form of verb) + Object
Example:
- I went to school.
- He played football.
- They read books.
Use:
- to describe a completed action in the past. Adverbs of the past like yesterday, ago, last week, etc. are used in such sentences. (e.g. Prateek received the experience letter last week)
- to describe the old habits. (e.g. Rita always carried an umbrella with her.
Past Continuous Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + was/were + Verb+ing + Object
Example:
- I was going to school.
- He was playing football.
- They were reading books.
Use:
- to show a progressive action of the past (e.g. I was watching the flower pots during the coffee break)
- to show the old persistent habits (e.g. Shravan was always complaining)
Past Perfect Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + had + V3 (past participle) + Object
Example:
- He had played football.
- They had read books.
Use:
- to describe an action that had been completed way before a particular moment in the past (e.g. We had seen the man, for the last time, three years before)
- used along with simple past tense to show the action that happened first in the series (e.g. The patient had died before the doctor reached)
Past Perfect Continuous Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + had + been + Verb+ing + Object
Example:
- He had been playing football.
- They had been reading books.
Use:
- to indicate that an action started in the past and continued up to a point in the past. (e.g. When Alfred joined the company, Robin had been working there for 5 years)
Future Tense
The future tense is used to refer to an action that is supposed to happen at a specific future time.
Simple Future Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + will + V1 (first form of verb) + Object
Example:
- He will play football.
- They will read books.
Use:
- to refer to the obvious events to happen in the future. (e.g. Taimur will turn 19 next year)
- to predict a future event (e.g. I’m sure our school will win the competition)
Note: I am sure, I think, probably, I believe etc. are used in such sentences. - to show an action that we have decided to do in that instant. (e.g. There is no sign of a stormy cloud. I will not take the umbrella with me)
Future Continuous Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + will + be + Verb+ing + Object
Example:
- He will be playing football.
- They will be reading books.
Use:
- to refer to progressive action in the future. The action will continue to exist at that point in time (e.g. At this time next week I will be travelling home)
- to show a planned and expected event in the future. (e.g. My mother will be visiting me during the Diwali holidays)
Future Perfect Tense-
Structure:
Subject ( I/ You/ We/ They ) + will + have + V3 (past participle) + Object
Example:
- He will have played football.
- They will have read books.
Use:
- to show that an action will be completed by that certain point in time in the future. (e.g. By next week Suhana will have shifted to her new flat in Noida)
Future Perfect Continuous Tense-
Even though it is not frequently used, we use it to illustrate events that have been happening for a while but will come to a conclusion in the future.
Example:
- Silky will have been living in this house for three years next April.
Examples of Verb Tenses
To illustrate the usage of different verb tenses, consider the following examples:
Simple Tenses:
- Present Simple: "She loves to read books."
- Past Simple: "They visited Paris last summer."
- Future Simple: "We will meet at the coffee shop tomorrow."
Continuous/Progressive Tenses:
- Present Continuous: "I am studying for my exams."
- Past Continuous: "He was playing the piano when I entered the room."
- Future Continuous: "She will be attending the conference next week."
Perfect Tenses:
- Present Perfect: "They have already finished their assignment."
- Past Perfect: "He had traveled to several countries before he turned 30."
- Future Perfect: "I will have completed my degree by next year."
Perfect Continuous Tenses:
- Present Perfect Continuous: "She has been working on her novel for months."
- Past Perfect Continuous: "They had been practicing the dance routine for hours before the show."
- Future Perfect Continuous: "We will have been living in this city for ten years by 2025."

Comments
Post a Comment